Friday, December 31, 2010

Poor HVAC design

I'm sitting in my office at work, freezing my balls off. The genius that designed the building I work in put the air return in my office. The air feed is conveniently located about 50 feet away, inside my colleague's office. Now this wouldn't be so bad if we had no doors, but that's not the case. I'm pretty sure there are other inputs and returns on the floor as well, but the default is to keep one's door closed and locked, leading to nice pressure imbalance and some interesting internal wind conditions. My colleague wears a short sleeved shirt to work in the winter and is debating bringing shorts. The only time my office is at a reasonable temperature is when the air handling system shuts down for the night. The irony is that this is the primary engineering building on campus, and even houses the dean of the college. I think it's time to say "screw you" to the green initiative and invest in a space heater or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment